As summer turns to fall in New York and the city prepares for cooler weather, it’s time to start pulling out the hats, scarfs, and boots. And while the change in temperature can be a much welcome shift from the heat of summer, cooler weather also signals unavoidable rain, snow, sleet, and ice – all of which can contribute to the risk of injury and accident. As you navigate Rochester this winter, consider some of these common winter weather personal injuries and what you should do if you’ve been harmed. To learn more, please call our Rochester personal injury attorneys at the office of King Law today.
Common Winter Weather Personal Injuries and Accidents
Reduced visibility, rain, ice, snow, and sleet can all contribute to the risk of various accident types occurring. Some of the most common winter weather-related personal injuries and accidents include:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Motor vehicle crashes are one of the leading causes of unintentional injury and death, regardless of the time of year. During the wintertime, motorists not only have to navigate busy roads in Rochester–especially around the holiday periods of Christmas and New Years–but they must also deal with slippery road conditions, poor visibility, and additional weather-related traffic in many cases. What’s more, there also tends to be an uptick in the number of drunk drivers around the holiday period.
- Slips, trips, and falls. It’s not just driving that may be more dangerous when the weather outside is frightful – it’s walking, too. Snow- and ice-related slips, trips, and falls are unfortunately common during the wintertime. In addition to precipitation, another cause of falling can be unruly crowds – indeed, Black Friday events notoriously result in consumer slip and fall injuries nationwide. Slip and fall accidents lead to serious injuries, such as head and traumatic brain injuries, bone fracture injuries, and back and neck injuries, and can also be complicated when it comes to liability; a victim of a slip and fall accident may not know against whom to file a claim when they’ve been seriously injured, or whether or not they even have a viable claim for damages at all.
- Winter sports injuries. Whether you love ice skating or skiing, snowshoeing or snowboarding, participating in winter sports can also lead to injuries. Common sports-related injuries include bone fractures, concussions, soft tissue injuries, and, in severe cases, spinal cord injuries.
- Pedestrian injuries. Pedestrians are at risk of being in an accident and suffering serious injuries at all times of the year. During the winter months, the same things that make driving riskier–such as icy roads, reduced visibility, increased holiday traffic, and drunk drivers–may also contribute to a greater risk of pedestrian accidents. When a pedestrian accident occurs, the outcome is usually devastating. With nothing to protect them from harm, a pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle will likely suffer permanently disabling, if not fatal, injuries.
Your Rights if You’re Involved in a Winter Personal Injury Accident
No matter the time of year, if you’re harmed by another’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated in full for your damages. You have the right to bring forth a claim for damages against the party responsible for your harm. Our lawyers can help. We’ll start by investigating your case and determining whether or not you have a viable claim and, if so, against who. We’ll be responsible for gathering evidence, building your case, calculating your damages, and negotiating for a fair settlement. Our lawyers will fight for fair and justifiable compensation on your behalf and aggressively protect your rights. You have the right to seek compensation for the full value of your economic and noneconomic losses, including:
- Medical expenses and future medical expenses;
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity;
- Property damage expenses, such as the value of a damaged vehicle involved in the crash; and
- Pain, suffering, emotional distress and any other noneconomic losses you’ve suffered.
Call Our Law Firm for the Legal Counsel You Need and Trust
When you’ve been harmed in an accident–no matter what time of year it occurs–you need an aggressive personal injury advocate on your side who has experience working on cases like yours and is committed to getting you the settlement you deserve. At King Law, our Rochester personal injury lawyers know how much is on the line and how much you’ve already lost. We understand what you’re going through and are sympathetic to your situation and what you’re up against. Our lawyers have the legal acumen, the experience, and the negotiation skills to effectively advocate for you. We always put our clients first and are results-driven.
To learn more about our Rochester personal injury attorneys and what to do if you’re in a winter-related personal injury accident, please call us directly or send us a message to request a free, no-obligation consultation.