If you were involved in a car accident and sustained injuries, your first priority should be to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you feel fine, the only way to be certain is to see a doctor. Oftentimes, symptoms do not appear in the immediate aftermath of an accident and, if you postpone a doctor visit, your recovery time might be prolonged and you could even be at risk for permanent damage as a result of not receiving treatment in a timely manner.
Upon your initial visit to your doctor, you should remember to ask certain questions, regardless if your injuries are serious or seemingly minor:
- What kind of injuries do I have and how might they affect me? This might seem like an obvious question, but it is one of the most important things you should know. The more you understand about your injury and the more you learn about the recovery process and what to avoid, the smoother it will be. If you are not exhibiting any symptoms, your doctor will be able to schedule follow-up appointments to monitor your condition. Remember, if there is something you do not understand, ask for clarification.
- Will my injuries result in any future health problems? Some injuries do not fully heal, so you should ask your doctor if yours might produce long-term effects and if there are any available treatments to minimize the discomfort.
- What was the cause of my injuries? Obviously, you were in a car accident, but you need to understand exactly how you sustained your injuries. Did you hit your head on the steering wheel and sustain a head injury? Your doctor will probably not be able to definitively say how your injuries occurred, but he or she can provide an expert opinion.
- When can I return to work? In many cases, time off work is necessary for a full and speedy recovery, so you should ask your doctor if and how much time you will need to take off from work. Having a written note from your doctor will also be helpful if you decide to file a personal injury claim.
- Could I have copies of my medical records? Speaking of personal injury claims, having thorough documentation of your injuries and the treatment you sought is crucial for building a strong personal injury case. Most doctors will happily provide this, but some might require a formal request. Either way, make sure you obtain your medical records.
EXPERIENCED ROCHESTER CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
Being injured in a car accident can be an overwhelming and traumatic experience, especially if you end up facing costly medical expenses and lost wages. If you were injured in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you have a right to pursue just compensation. At King Law, our firm strives to ensure our clients receive a high standard of advocacy.
Contact our office today at (585) 270-8882 to schedule a free consultation.