Sometimes injuries never heal. A person can continue to experience serious pain daily as well as mental trauma that can make it difficult for them to live a normal life. For this reason, personal injury claims provide for noneconomic damages that include pain and suffering. If you experience severe pain and mental anguish after an accident, you may be eligible for pain and suffering compensation.
Pain and suffering damages can be awarded if a person experiences:
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Psychological trauma
- Severe depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium (for wrongful death)
To find out if your injuries are eligible for pain and suffering, you can contact our Rochester personal injury attorney. We can evaluate your claim and help you determine the extent of your damages.
HOW INSURERS ASSESS PAIN & SUFFERING DAMAGES
- Medical bills – In general, larger bills typically indicate how severe an injury is, so the higher the bill, the greater the likelihood of awarding pain and suffering damages. Always make sure that you see a doctor if you have been in an accident.
- Extent of injuries – People who suffer from extensive and severe injuries such as disfigurement, paralysis, or another catastrophic injuries, they are more likely to recover substantial pain and suffering compensation.
- Required recovery time – The time that you need to recover has a large effect on the damages that you can recover. Severe injuries will require longer recovery times, which also means that a person will experience greater pain and suffering.
- Medical evidence – Proving a case may require medical records, evaluations from medical experts, witness testimony, prescription records, and even daily journals that detail the daily obstacles stemming from your injuries.
There is no set formula that insurers use to assess pain and suffering damages. This can make it challenging to assess what is considered a “fair” amount of compensation. The bottom line is, you should always understand the extent of your injuries by talking to an attorney.
A ROCHESTER PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER READY TO HELP YOU
King Law is dedicated to helping injured people just like you find peace of mind and full compensation after an accident. We understand that money alone cannot compensate you for the pain that you experience every day, but it can help you get the medical care that you need to recover. As seasoned advocates who have experience handling numerous complex claims, we are here to guide you through the legal process. We can review your case at no cost during a free consultation. Call today to schedule yours.