In New York, drivers normally exchange information after an accident and file claims with their own insurance companies to cover damages. What happens when the other driver flees the scene of an accident, leaving before you are able to grab any identifying information? Not all drivers on the road will follow the law and when hit and run accidents occur, victims will typically need to file an uninsured motorist’s claim. Securing needed compensation for a hit and run accident can be complicated and it is important to know what steps to take in order to protect your claim.
Six steps to take if you are involved in a hit-and-run- accident:
- Pull over: If you are involved in any accident, pull over when it is safe to do so and get medical attention for anyone who has been injured. Do not chase after a fleeing car in an attempt to identify the negligent driver.
- Contact the police: Inform law enforcement about the accident and stay at the scene until they arrive. Police reports can be powerful evidence in substantiating the events of a hit and run accident. Be sure to take down the information of the responding officer and any report numbers.
- Gather information: Collect evidence about your accident when it is safe to do so. Take pictures and video of any damage to vehicles, injuries, and the surrounding area. Write down or record any information you can remember about the vehicle that left the scene.
- Talk to witnesses: Another substantial source of information that may support your claim can come from witnesses. If anyone saw what happened, collect there statement and contact information.
- See a doctor: Seeking medical attention is a vital step even if you do not feel as though you are injured. Not all symptoms may be immediately apparent and only a doctor will be able to accurately diagnose your injures. Additionally, getting treatment early can help to establish a record of how the accident has affected you.
- Contact an attorney: While the no-fault system of motor vehicle claims in New York can streamline the insurance process, drivers may still be left to fight for the compensation they need. Insurance companies seek to avoid paying on fraudulent hit-and-run cases and an attorney can help you to protect your claim.
ROCHESTER PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a hit and run accident, attempting to navigate the claims process alone can leave you with less money than you may be eligible to receive. No one should be made to shoulder the responsibility for the negligent actions of another party and King Law wants to hear your story. The firm’s lead Rochester personal injury attorney possesses more than a decade of experience and has a proven track record helping clients to seek the monetary compensation that they deserve.
Call (585) 270-8882 and schedule a FREE consultation to learn about your legal options.